Nyman, J. and Burke, A. (eds) (2016) Ethical Security Studies: A New Research Agenda, London and New York: Routledge.
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Nyman, J. (2016) ‘What is the value of security? Contextualizing the negative/positive debate’, Review of International Studies, forthcoming.
- Nyman, J. (2016) ‘Rethinking energy, climate and security: a critical analysis of energy security in the United States’, Journal of International Relations and Development, forthcoming.
- Nyman, J. and Zeng, J. (2016) ‘Securitization in Chinese energy and climate politics’, WIREs Climate Change, 7(2). **
- Nyman, J. (2014) ‘Red Storm Ahead: Securitisation of energy in US-China relations’, Millennium: Journal of International Studies, 42(3).
** a translation of this paper has been accepted for publication in China, in Strategy and Management 战略与管理]
- Nyman J. (2017) ‘Energy security in an age of environmental change’, in Stevenson, H. and Corry, O. (eds) Traditions and Trends in Global Environmental Politics: IR and the Earth, London: Routledge
- Nyman, J. and Burke, A. (2016) ‘Introduction: Imagining Ethical Security Studies’ in Nyman, J. and Burke, A. (eds) Ethical Security Studies, London and New York: Routledge.
- Nyman, J. (2016) ‘Pragmatism, practice and the value of security’ in Nyman, J. and Burke, A. (eds) Ethical Security Studies, London and New York: Routledge.
- Nyman, J. (2016) ‘Energy Security under Obama: Some hope, but not much change’, in Holland, J. and Bentley, M. (eds) The Obama Doctrine: Legacy and continuity in US foreign policy, London and New York: Routledge.
- Nyman, J. (2013) ‘Securitisation Theory’ in Shepherd, L.J. (ed) Critical Approaches to Security: Theories and Methods, London and New York: Routledge, p51-62.
Recent invited talks (2013-2016)
- Nyman J. (2016) ‘Pragmatism, practice and the value of security’, invited Departmental Seminar at the University of Leeds, November 2016.
- Nyman, J. (2015) ‘The Energy Security Paradox: Understanding energy (in)security in the United States and China’, invited guest speaker at UI (Swedish Institute for International Affairs), Stockholm, May 2015.
- Nyman, J. (2014) ‘Tales of translations: translating energy security’, invited speaker at Translations of Security conference organised by the Centre for Advanced Security Theory, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, May 2014.
- Nyman, J. (2013) ‘Positive security in practice: energy security in the United States’, Invited speaker as part of the Emerging Securities Seminar Series, Keele University, March 2013.
- Nyman, J. (2013) Keynote roundtable: ‘Declining America, Rising China?’ Invited speaker at BISA US Foreign Policy Annual Conference, Warwick University, September 2013.
I have presented my research at a number of national and international conferences, in Europe, the United States, and Asia.